Sunday, November 4, 2007

Potchie Neighbors

When I was about six or seven my brother, had a powder blue stuffed kangaroo, that came with permanent boxing gloves. My brother is two years younger than I am. He named the kangaroo Potchie Neighbors (I think that's how it's spelled). When my brother got angry with anyone, he threatened them with Potchie. I was attacked by Potchie many times. My brother would swing the soft pugilist at my head and chest while I pushed them back. I didn't take Potchie seriously, this made my brother even more angry. The attacks became more aggressive. I made the mistake of laughing at Potchie. I think my brother took this personally, he may have viewed Potchie or Potch as he became known as a kindred spirit. Pretty soon my brother gave up on trying to scare me with Potch. I tried to be more empathetic towards their relationship, referring to Potchie as if he were one of us.

A few months later my mother told my brother that Potchie needed to be thrown away. He had become a regular companion of my brother. Potchie had become passive for the most part, he was more like another kid in the neighborhood. He had accumulated a lot more dirt than most kids. He was filthy, and some of his stuffing was starting to fall out. My brother decided that a bath would take care of everything. Mud and stuffing filled the tub. Potchie was a mess. My mother was not pleased, she took Potchie out of the tub, to an undisclosed location. We never saw Potch again. My brother called her a murderer. My brother learned to live without Potchie, eventually he forgave my mother, but Potchie has never really left my families life.

When I was 18 I was staying with my father in Ft. Lauderdale. My father signed up for one of those record clubs that used to be advertised in magazines. There were always ads like get 11 records for $1.99. The catch was that the company would keep sending you records after the 11, they were usually more expensive than any stores prices, plus shipping. So my father joined the record club. He decided to resurface the name of Potchie Neighbors. He put Potchie's name on the application, listing his employment as a traveling salesman. My father got his records and was inspired to sign up for other record clubs using Potchie's name.

When my father is waiting for a table at a restaurant he gives the hostess the name Potchie Neighbors. I remember one maitre' de asking, "Is that Italian?"

No comments: