Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Casket Next To The Dumpster

Yesterday, I was driving on some back road that connects to Alt. 19 just north of the Tarpon Springs bridge. About a half a mile before Alt. 19 I saw a casket next to the dumpster of a warehouse. I forget how big those things are. It looked about eight feet long, made of white metal. I didn't get out and touch it or open it like some of my friends suggested. My friend Alex said I should throw it in the back of my hatchback and ride the two hours to Orlando with it sticking out. I ignored this suggestion, but thought about it a little when he mentioned selling it on craigslist. I don't want to draw anymore attention to myself.

I made my way through Tampa back to Orlando. I stopped and got some baked goods at the huge 24 hour Cuban bakery on Florida Avenue near Hillsborough Avenue. I ate lunch at Nick's diner down the street. It's an authentic diner, looks like it was manufactured by Airstream. I overheard a guy a few booths down say. "I can look at a copy of my MRI an tell you exactly what part of my brain is missing."

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work Pat

Guy said...

Sounds like the sign of a good short story waiting to blossom.

rusty said...

PAAAaaaaaAT,

How could you forget our life long dream? If we could only find a casket, we were gonna build a rail, just like Grampa Munster's.

Unknown said...

I think I want to start a blog called I don't want to draw attention to myself.

And if I had my MRI, I could show you the part of my brain that is there, if I was using it.

Andrew Jones said...

it's perfect. keep writing BTW Alex was right, a used casket is worth a lot of money. doesn't costco sell them now?

Anonymous said...

I got an MRI and the part of my brain that was missing was in my ass.

Anonymous said...

I am living in FLorida and all I can say is, I am not surprised. Although, if the casket was empty, then I am.
much respect~d
Http://www.gulfcoastmommy.blogspot.com

I hope you do not mind, I have added you to my "read" list so that I may easily return.