Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Killing Machine

I made a point of checking out Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller's video, audio multi-media installations when I was in Miami. The exhibit will be at the Miami Museum of Art through January 20, 2008. I was doing some research on the two. I thought I'd read that they are married. The wikipedia entry for Janet Cardiff lists George Bures Miller as her partner. I don't think I'll ever get used to calling someone that you are probably sleeping with, a partner. The word partner conjures up images of bookkeeping, not sex. It seems like whenever I tell anyone how I feel about the term partner, I get emotional responses like, "Would you rather use the term lover?" I would rather hear or use the word lover, or just about anything else other than partner. In many cases nemesis may be more accurate.

Cardiff and Miller's ten installations are vague dreamlike narratives with tones of secrecy, temptation, something sinister, provocative, sensual and funny. I think it's probably the work of very intimate partners.

The Killing Machine is the name of one of the installations and the name of their exhibit.

Yesterday I dropped in on the war protest in Lake Eola's park. I am opposed to the war, but I'm too cynical to protest, and am suspicious of easy solutions. The march started around the time the rain came down. I left the parade and headed home, getting drenched walking the few blocks home.

No comments: